There has been an increase in the cases of domestic violence during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic. Some of these cases have already claimed lives and they pose a big threat to human dignity.

How can we step up our efforts to ensure that the right to respect for human dignity and protection from inhuman treatment enshrined in Article 24 of the 1995 Constitution of Uganda is protected in this context?

Kindly share your thoughts.

Please share this link with your circles to join in on the discussion: http://websocial.laspnet.org/index.php?u=

There has been an increase in the cases of domestic violence during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic. Some of these cases have already claimed lives and they pose a big threat to human dignity. How can we step up our efforts to ensure that the right to respect for human dignity and protection from inhuman treatment enshrined in Article 24 of the 1995 Constitution of Uganda is protected in this context? Kindly share your thoughts. Please share this link with your circles to join in on the discussion: http://websocial.laspnet.org/index.php?u=
edited Jun 19 '20 at 9:58 am

This is true. Thanks Albert. However, since the crisis has posed restrictions on public gatherings, I think we should make use of the available ICT resources.

This is true. Thanks Albert. However, since the crisis has posed restrictions on public gatherings, I think we should make use of the available ICT resources.

There's a need to engage the members of the public using the media houses available on the effects or dangers of domestic violence vis-a-viz ways of helping them avoid the vice; this includes counseling for better family livelihood and creating legal awareness on its penalty.

There's a need to engage the members of the public using the media houses available on the effects or dangers of domestic violence vis-a-viz ways of helping them avoid the vice; this includes counseling for better family livelihood and creating legal awareness on its penalty.

Domestic violence is prohibited under S.4 of the Domestic Violence Act 2010. The law provides for different stake holders I.e the Local Council court, the police, the family and children court and it also provides for Appeals under the supporting regulations of 2011.

Allowing local council courts to entertain matters of Domestic violence is actually enabling the victims to access justice with ease.

The problem is that many cases of domestic violence are never reported by the victims for fear of being evicted from their matrimonial homes. The majority of the victims are women whereas it is also true that men also suffer from this vice.

Similarly, making these complaints has been made difficult by the restrictions on public transport and public gatherings due to COVID 19

I am of the considered opinion that the said stakeholders like the police and the L.C courts with the necessary jurisdiction to handle these cases do not only stop at waiting to receive complaints from the communities but also reach out to them for detection of any cases of domestic violence.

In addition, we need to do more to engage the communities of the danger of domestic violence and further reach out to the above mentioned stake holders.

We need to obtain contacts of the different O.C C.I.Ds and the local council chairpersons whom we can directly engage on the progress and handling of those complaints in there areas if any.

With the introduction of the socialweb, situational room and the call centre by LASPNET, it is a big step towards asisting the victims of domestic violence to Access justice.

Domestic violence is prohibited under S.4 of the Domestic Violence Act 2010. The law provides for different stake holders I.e the Local Council court, the police, the family and children court and it also provides for Appeals under the supporting regulations of 2011. Allowing local council courts to entertain matters of Domestic violence is actually enabling the victims to access justice with ease. The problem is that many cases of domestic violence are never reported by the victims for fear of being evicted from their matrimonial homes. The majority of the victims are women whereas it is also true that men also suffer from this vice. Similarly, making these complaints has been made difficult by the restrictions on public transport and public gatherings due to COVID 19 I am of the considered opinion that the said stakeholders like the police and the L.C courts with the necessary jurisdiction to handle these cases do not only stop at waiting to receive complaints from the communities but also reach out to them for detection of any cases of domestic violence. In addition, we need to do more to engage the communities of the danger of domestic violence and further reach out to the above mentioned stake holders. We need to obtain contacts of the different O.C C.I.Ds and the local council chairpersons whom we can directly engage on the progress and handling of those complaints in there areas if any. With the introduction of the socialweb, situational room and the call centre by LASPNET, it is a big step towards asisting the victims of domestic violence to Access justice.

views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft